Roanoke Criminal Defense Attorney Defends Those Facing Fake ID Charges
It may be tempting for an underage person to have a fake ID to buy alcohol in Virginia, until they get caught with it. Twenty-one is the minimum age to purchase or drink alcohol in Virginia, and underage possession means the offender could lose their driver’s license for up to one year and face other serious penalties. Have you been caught trying to buy alcohol with a fake ID in Virginia? Roanoke criminal defense Attorney Robert F. Rider focuses his practice exclusively on criminal defense, and he will use his expertise to help you obtain the minimum penalty possible. Contact our firm online or call 540-685-0075 to schedule a free initial consultation today.
Virginia Law Regarding the Fraudulent Use of a Driver’s License, ID Card, or Other Identification
- It is illegal to use another’s ID as one’s own.
- It is illegal to possess or sell an ID for the purpose of establishing false identification.
- It is illegal to make or alter an ID.
- Persons who possess, use or distribute false forms of ID are charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor. Virginia Law Regarding Fake IDs and the Underage Purchase or Possession of Alcoholic Beverages
- It is illegal for anyone under 21 to possess any alcoholic beverage.
- No one under 21 may use an altered or fake ID such as a driver’s license, birth certificate or student identification card to establish a false identification or false age to purchase an alcoholic beverage.
- Violators shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor and, upon conviction, can lose their driver’s license for up to one year and face a mandatory minimum fine of $500 or a mandatory minimum of 50 hours of community service and a maximum sentence of up to one year in jail and/or a $2,500 fine.